Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Starting Tomatoes and Peppers

I started these seeds the first weekend in February.

Varieties I planted: Rutgers tomatoes, Fireball tomatoes, Roma tomatoes and bell peppers
(I got the seeds on sale for 11 cents an envelope in January at Kings)



I bought special starter soil and a seed starter box. I also tried an egg carton. My mom tried milk jugs with the tops cut off. Next time I won't spend much. The recycled milk jugs worked awesome and the big bag of soil from Costco worked great, too.



I had planned to use the hot tub room to store the plants, but John was redoing the electrical work, so it wasn't a warm enough place this year...so my mom let me keep them out at her house in her spare bedroom. Once the seeds took off and got tall, she transplanted them (she's awesome like that) into cut off milk jugs, burying the plants up to the leaves. They look awesome now...I need to take a picture and add it to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment